Ideally located in South-east Asia, Singapore is a thriving metropolis offering world-class infrastructure, a fully integrated island-wide transport network, dynamic business environment, vibrant living spaces and a rich culture largely influenced by the four major communities in Singapore (Chinese (majority), Malay, Indian and Eurasian) with each offering different perspective of life in Singapore in terms of culture, religion, food, language and history. Singapore is amongst the safest cities in the world.
Visit Singapore’s website has great travel tips with everything you need to know about Singapore.
Key attractions and activities
Whether you’re a nature lover, culture buff, thrill-seeker or food enthusiast, Singapore has a wide selection of leisure offerings within easy reach. While you are in Singapore you might like to:
- check out some of Singapore’s most iconic landmarks and gain insights to the stories behind them. Immerse yourself in luxury at Marina Bay Sands or take a ride on the Singapore Flyer.
- discover the street art around the city. Art doesn’t have to be found on the walls of a gallery. While Singapore certainly has its share of world-class museums, exhibitions, and art spaces, it’s also home to a wealth of street art and iconic wall murals.
- explore the island’s heritage with a history tour.
- eat and drink your way around the city. Singapore’s dining scene features a rich mix of local street fare as well as unique and quality dining experiences by local and international chefs.
- immerse yourself in Singapore’s diverse culture.
- get a dose of exhilarating action with one of the many thrill-seeking experiences around Singapore.
The Singapore dollar is used, and notes come in denominations of S$2, S$5, S$10, S$50, S$100, S$1,000 and S$10,000. Coins come in 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents and S$1.
Changi Airport has been acclaimed as the World’s Best Airport 2020 by Skytrax for the eighth consecutive year. Located at the crossroads of the East and West, Singapore is well positioned to access close to 4 billion people within a 7-hour flight radius. As one of Asia’s best-connected airports, Changi Airport serves more than 120 international and budget airlines connecting to over 400 cities in more than 100 countries, with over 7 200 scheduled weekly flights. Changi Airport is located approximately 19 kilometres West of the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel.
Airport transport services such as buses, trains, taxis and car hire services are all available. To learn more visit Changi Airport’s website.
Singapore Standard Time (SST), also known as Singapore Time (SGT), is used in Singapore and is 8 hours ahead of UTC (UTC+08:00)
Singapore is hot and humid all year-round, with temperatures usually reaching over 30°C. You should be prepared for rain at any time, which can be torrential but usually brief.
Tipping is encouraged when you experience good service, and this would be above the standard 10 percent gratuity to your bill added by some restaurants and hotels.